Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Smoke and Mirrors - 15



“How long will it take to contact your dwarf friends, Mor,” Jared asked.

“Hopefully not more than a day.”

“Meanwhile our not so friendly nahual could also find this building, since you were able to.”

Mor paced as she considered that. “Somehow I don’t think so. All of this was too fortuitous, the thunder, the rain at exactly the right time and place. We have a friend in high places I’d be willing to bet.”

“Or low places, depending,” Daniel muttered under his breath.

“Whichever, Daniel, but she’s correct in that it seems someone wants us to get the wand, perhaps before the nahual does. And if that’s the case, it means he must be close. Mor, we need your dwarf friends here as fast as possible.”

She nodded. “I’ll need to go back home, but first I’m going to put up a warning spell to let me know if anyone enters the building, and I’ll leave a couple of distractions to keep them busy until we can get back here.”

“What sort of distractions?” Daniel asked; interested in what she had in mind.

“Oh I was thinking a couple of Krallinar and perhaps a Misty Horror as long as it behaves and doesn’t try to feed on the Krallinars’ life energy. That would sort of defeat their purpose as protectors.”

Jared lifted an eyebrow. “You have some interesting, umm, friends?”
  
“Let’s just say I have the powers to call up some creatures that are willing to do my bidding, as long as I repay them. And before you ask, the payment is their freedom for a year and a day in places where they’ll be able to do as they wish without harming others needlessly.”

“I can think of a couple of war zones you can send them to,” Jared growled.

Mor smiled. “Me too, but I’m talking about on the planes they come from. I wouldn’t let any of them loose here. The human race wouldn’t survive.”

“I wouldn’t bet on that, Mor, but yeah, on another plane works because I for one do not want to have to go hunting them here if they got totally out of control.” Daniel said fervently. “I hate to admit it but there are some Supes I’m not big on facing down if I can help it.”

She nodded before suggesting that they leave the building so that she could set things up. A few minutes later she joined them on the sidewalk, which was now as dry as if there had never been a rainstorm. Looking up at the sky she gave a brief, heartfelt thanks to whatever power had guided them, and then told Jared and Daniel it was time to get her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment