Monday, October 2, 2017

(17) When all else is lost the future still remains



The second the door closed behind the Messenger, Race charged into the kitchen. Addie heard the sound of retching and immediately followed him, Shan close on her heels. They found Race bent over the sink, heaving up everything he’d eaten in the last twenty-four hours. When he straightened, his features pale and drawn, Addie put an arm around his waist to steady him.

“What was that all about?” Shan asked.

“That thing, the Messenger…” Race gulped then bent over again, dry-heaving.

Addie shot a worried glance at Shan as she waited for Race to regain control. “What about him,” she asked when he had.

Rinsing the sink out then turning to lean against it so that he could see both of them, Race told them, “He, it, is pure evil. The one who’s in control that is. There’s another one in the same body who might be the Messenger. What little I could feel of him is good but terrified of what’s happened.”

“Fuck!’ Shan slammed his fist on the counter. “Damn it I wish you could have seen who the other one was.”

“I’m sorry,” Race replied contritely. “It’s just not something I’m capable of.”

“That’s okay kid, I’m not blaming you.” Shan squeezed his shoulder. “Addie, I hope you can live with what you have with you at the moment, because you’re not going back home.”

“All things considered I thought you’d say that,” she said dryly. “There’s nothing there I can’t live without until we figure out what’s going on. However you know we can’t stay here either.”

“Yeah, I know. The problem is getting us out of here without whoever that is being aware we’ve left, and where we’re going to end up. If he was telling the truth he can follow my signature if I teleport us.”

“Then you all do it the normal way, at least to start,” Race said, putting in his two cent’s worth.

“It’s going to be the three of us,” Shan stated firmly, much to Race’s surprise.

“Of course it is,” Addie agreed. “Among other things, if you don’t come with us that leaves you unprotected and I’m sure that thing masquerading as the Messenger would love to get his hands on you.”

2 comments: