Wednesday, October 4, 2017

(18) When all else is lost the future still remains



“You had a good point, too, Race. Maybe the best way to leave here is just to act normal. Cautious but normal.” Shan began pacing the length of the kitchen, thinking. “I wonder how much of what he told us is actually the truth.”

“Anything we can check and verify, which means the King really is dead,” Addie replied, “and that there’s a meeting of the conclave in two weeks. The rest is anyone’s guess. What I don’t get is why he even showed his face.”

“Because the Messenger would be the one who’d come to let you know what was happening. If he’d shown up at your place you’d have known something was off, since I’m the only one who knew where you were living. It’s a damned good thing you haven’t started up your business again.”

“He wants you at that meeting," Race said.

Addie looked at Race and nodded. “For whatever reason I think he must, and not because he wants me to become the Queen, despite what he said. I’d give my eyeteeth to know who you felt, Race.”

“Wouldn’t that make it hard for you to feed?” Race chuckled then sobered. “Sorry, this isn’t the time for jokes.”

Shan smiled. “Actually anything to relieve the tension is fine right now.”

Biting back his immediate thought, Race pushed off the edge of the sink, asking. “How are we going to do this?”

“First, we need a safe place to hide out at until tomorrow night. Somewhere we can get to and know we’re not being followed.”

“That’s not a problem, trust me,” Race told him. “I’ve got, I had two good hiding places. I’m pretty certain no one’s found them yet although they will eventually of course.”

“That could work.” Shan checked the time. “We have about four hours to get everything together and get to them. Addie, would you put together some provisions please. Your purse, bag, whatever you call that thing, looks large enough to hold stuff without anyone’s getting suspicious. Race, get my laptop out of the office. The things I need that go with it are in a case in the second drawer down on the right hand side of the desk. I’ll deal with everything else we’ll need that we can carry out of here easily.”

Addie chuckled. “It’s a purse, Shan, just a very large one, so if you need me to haul any weapons, as well as your food, they should fit if they’re small ones.”

“Good, now let’s get a move on. Time’s a wasting.”

No comments:

Post a Comment